Wednesday, March 23

It's all thanks to you. :)

This is my 4th year being the English Society president in school. And I must be honest, I didn't do a great job in previous years, even though I've had 3 years of experience, in the same society and the same school. And even though I did so poorly, no trips no speakers just games, my members still voted me as their president.  And since this will be my last year as president, being Form 5, I have decided to really dedicate myself to the society even though I have other clubs to attend to. 

Our first achievement this year was our Valentines Day project. This was the first event the society ha ever held throughout my president years. And now our second and probably will be our biggest achievement was to invite local author Jeremy Chin to come to school to share his experiences on becoming a writer. Jeremy Chin wrote the fiction, FUEL. 

And to summarize the whole thing, it was great. There were more people who showed up than I expected, there were more people who bought his book than I expected, and everyone thought Jeremy's talk was inspiring, and his blog post on "Passion" was reeeeeeaally deep. I don't think any of us can write like that ( yet ;) )

At the end of the programme, Pn. Lee presented Jeremy with a small token of appreciation from the English Society. Ferrero Rocher chocolate and a A4 size bookmark that said "Thank You" on one side 
( drawn by great artist Yasmin Shah :D ) and the other size with all the attendees signatures. 





Why do I call this event the society's biggest achievement? 

It was when Jeremy said "I have never felt so important in my life before". He had a crowd of people follow him all the way to the Bilik Tayangan, the signs and an enthusiastic bunch of secondary school kids as his audience.  
Although Jeremy could have been joking about feeling so important, I took it to heart. I'm so proud of my members. :D

Click here to read Jeremy Chin's recap of his visit to SMKBU.




This post is a shotout to my English Society members.
 I just want to say a great big 
THANK YOU 
to all of you who have believed in me for 4 years, 
who come for meetings every week, 
great people to be with,
who are enthusiastic,
who stay dedicated, 
who are funny, 
caring, 
and so much more.


I couldn't have done anything without you all. 
I love you guys so much its bringing tears to my eyes. 
Seriously. 



No comments:

Post a Comment